Wednesday 11 July 2012

The Pursuit of Happiness

Whilst on a trip to Grahamstown for the National Arts Festival, two of my friends and I were walking back to the residence where we were staying and the topic of happiness came up. I, being quite sceptical, commented that true happiness is never truly attainable due to our human nature; we always want more and are never truly satisfied with what we have and therefore miss out on blessings which God so wants to pour out on us.

Strolling uphill in the cold night air, my friend made a comment which changed my entire perception: "That's because happiness must be relative to sadness." It grew quiet. She explained that we can't experience happiness if we haven't undergone sadness. Similarly, the amount of happiness one feels is proportional to the amount of sadness one has felt.

I couldn't help but agree. I then thought back on all my personal pain and sadness over the past few years. For the first time in a while, I gained a fresh hope about circumstances.We shorthand ourselves by staring into the face of our current difficulties. We seldom think to take a step back and see what lies behind them.

In that single evening, I realised that I had allowed my faith to grow lukewarm. I took a step back, and decided not to let my circumstances get the better of me any longer. It is time to start moving and working for the purpose which God has given me. If everyone is able to grasp that concept, a revival and Godly revolution is sure to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment